How to Check in to a Walk or Foray
In order to attend walks and forays which are meant for more experienced mushroomers, members need to attend some of our easier walks beforehand. Checking in to these walks is the only way we can tell you attended, so if you want to progress to later levels of walk and foray, you must check in when you arrive at the event location.
Checking in is done using your smartphone. If you don't have a smartphone with a data plan, get someone to help you who does, or speak with the walk guide or foray leader and they will check you in.
This page explains how to check in at a walk or a foray and how to change or cancel a check-in. Since checking in is intended to be done with a phone, we only show what the check-in page looks like with a phone, and not with a desktop computer.
Open your phone's web browser app (Safari, Chrome, etc.) and go to https://www.myctor.org/checkin.
- Tap the three-line icon in the top left of every page
- The site menu will open. Swipe up on the menu until you see the Check in to a Walk or Foray item.
- Tap Check in to a Walk or Foray
Sometimes it can be hard to get signal in the woods. If you can't get to the check-in page, let the walk guide or foray leader know.
The Walk & Foray Check-In page will automatically show the day's walk or foray. If there's more than one walk or foray that day, pick the right one from the Walk or Foray drop-down.
Foray check-in is available 30 minutes before the scheduled start time of the walk or foray and until the scheduled end time.
Enter your email address in the Your email address box and tap the button. The email address must be the email address you use to log in to the website (the primary email address of your MST membership).
You don't need to be signed in to the website to check in - in fact you can borrow someone's phone and check in as yourself even if they're already signed in. Just make sure to use your own email address in the box.
The walk guide or foray leader must consider whether the group would be a manageable size including you. This decision is entirely at the discretion of the guide or leader. Please speak to them and ask if you can attend before continuing your check-in.
On the next page, swipe up to scroll down the page to the Participants section.
If this is a registration walk or foray, the page will look like the first image below and you'll see a list of the participants you registered. Each will have Attending and Not attending buttons under their name. If anyone you registered didn't come to the event, tap Not attending for them.
If this is a non-registration walk or foray, the page will look like the second image below and you'll see boxes where you can enter a first and last name for every person attending. Your family members will automatically be filled in, if you're signed in to the website and you've kept your membership profile up to date. If you need more boxes, tap the green plus-symbol button. If you make a mistake and need to remove someone, tap the red minus-symbol button beside their name.
- Check the box to indicate that all the adult participants in your group accept the General Release (scroll down to see it), and agree to the MST's Code of Conduct and Anti-Harassment Policy.
- Tap the Finish Check-In button to save your check-in, or the Cancel Check-In button to return to the beginning.
The walk guide or foray leader must consider whether the group would be a manageable size including your extra people. This decision is entirely at the discretion of the guide or leader. Please speak to them and ask if your extra people can attend before continuing your check-in.
Your check-in has now been saved. If you accidentally entered wrong check-in information, you can tap the Change Check-In Details button, or if you decide to leave without attending the event after all, tap the Cancel Check-In button.
If you tap the Change Check-In Details button, you'll return to your check-in to make changes. At the bottom of the page there will be three buttons. If you make any changes to the check-in details, tap the Save changes button. To return to the beginning without making any changes, tap the Cancel Changes button.
If you tap the Cancel Check-In button, you'll be asked if you're sure you want to cancel. Tap the No button if you don't want to cancel, and the Yes button if you're sure.
If you're checking in to an Intermediate Field ID foray you'll see two extra boxes on the main check-in screen:
- You'll need enter a contact number where you can be reached during the event (ideally the number or the phone you're using to check in) in the Your contact number box. If you're signed in to the website, your phone number will automatically be filled in.
- If you arrived at the foray by car, you'll also need to enter the license plate number of the car into the License plate number box. If you car-pooled to the event, enter the driver's plate number. Don't worry about upper-case or lower-case letters in the plate number; it doesn't matter. If you didn't arrive by car, tap the No button under Did you come to the walk/foray by car? and the license plate box will disappear.
Note that for reasons of privacy, if you're not signed in to the website when you check in, and you need to change your check-in details, the phone number you entered won't be shown again and you'll need to re-enter it to save any changes.